Kanawha United Presbyterian Church
Church Music Director– Part Time
The Music Director is a part-time position responsible to the pastor. The position carries out the specific duties listed below as well as other duties assigned by the Pastor. The Director of Music is a part-time member of the staff of Kanawha United Presbyterian Church and is a contributing part of the Christian community of lay and ordained church workers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Church Music Director– Part Time
1. Select hymns appropriate in conjunction with the pastor and the organist which are reflective of the liturgical season and designated Scripture texts.
2. Provide for qualified substitutes for all absences.
3. Provide overall direction and rehearsal of the Adult Choir, Children’s Choir and Hand Bell Choir for Sunday Services and holiday services.
4. Actively recruit new participants to enable the development of an expanded music program in the church; this might include new choirs members and/or musical presentations.
5. Submit budget requests each fall as part of the budgetary process of the Session.
6. May schedule and coordinate performances of outside musicians.
7. Assist in the development and coordination of the Choral Scholar’s Program.
8. Perform other duties from time to time as may be directed by the Pastor or Session and agreed to by the parties involved.
- Performance and pay will be reviewed after the first six months of employment, and on an annual basis thereafter (12 months from hire date; 24 months; etc.).
- Cooperate with all staff and musicians of the congregation so that music ministry is enhanced within the life of the church.
- The Music Director shall have permission to conduct private lessons and make the organ/piano available to qualified students.
- The Music Director shall seek professional relationships with other church choral directors and keep abreast of developments in worship and liturgy through associations, continuing education, and professional church publications.
- Be provided two weeks of paid vacation time per year at a time agreed to by the pastor but not during Christmas or Easter seasonal services.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A minimum of a bachelor of Music degree and sufficient keyboard ability to sight read hymns, liturgy, and easy anthem accompaniments on a piano.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Presbyterian worship tradition and a theological understanding of the church sufficient to appropriately select music and texts for traditional worship.
- Has excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Possesses the ability to skillfully coordinate the work of a large group of volunteers.
- Has knowledge of and supports the church’s mission statement, beliefs and commitment. A pre-employment background check is required.
Forms to be completed upon employment: Agreement to having read Personnel Policy Manual; Medical Release/contact, Ethics Statement, and when available to be trained with Safe Sanctuaries.
Hours/Wage Rate Hours per week: 10 – 15 (with flexibility in setting regular hours) Starting pay is between $13,000 and $16,000 per year based on education and experience. Should an applicant possess the qualifications for Church Organist and Music Director the two positions can be joined creating a 20 – 25 hour responsibility and an upper level of pay $27,000 per year.
Benefits: FICA will be paid. There are no other benefits.
To apply for this position, please email your resume to –
Or mail to
1009 Virginia St. East
Charleston, WV 25301
KUPC is an equal opportunity employer